Monday, September 23, 2013

Traditional Emirati women

While visiting the International Hunting and Equestrian Exhibition in September (at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Center), I had the opportunity to engage with a variety of people and to take some fun photos.  (http://www.adihex.net/)

In addition to an abaya (dress-like garment), hijab or shela (head covering), and sometimes a naqib (face covering/veil), some Emirati (and other Muslim) women wear a batoola or batulla. (Once in awhile you'll see a woman wearing black gloves as well, for full covering.)

At the exhibition, there were women demonstrating hand crafts that are continued to this day.

All of these women were wearing a batoola.  One of them nodded "yes" when I gestured to my camera and to her. (Always ask a woman in the Gulf Region if she is willing to have her photo taken.)  It is my understanding that they are made out of either leather or paper. And they all have a metallic finish to them. My thanks to this lovely woman for allowing me to share her image with you.


She was demonstrating the grinding of wheat on a small stone wheel with a wooden handle. While I was watching her, and taking a photo, a couple of small girls came by and she invited them to sit with her and try the grinding wheel.

(I had a video of her using the grinding wheel, but try as I might, it didn't want to load!)

An older Emirati woman (I would guess in her 80's or 90's) was sitting next to her and weaving palm fronds for baskets. She also invited one of the young girls to sit with her. It was such an endearing sight to see her have the little girl (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try some of the weaving; and even sweeter when the woman kissed the girl on her head. 

The Emirati woman's work:

Photos of the crafts and equipment. I bought a beautiful journal cover and sleeve that is dyed camel leather (very soft) combined with similar woven colorful fabric shown below.






There is a foundation that supports both the continuation of these Emirati crafts and skills, but also financially supports the women who create items for sale. 
http://www.sougha.ae/en/story.aspx  (Apologies if this is link is duplicated from a previous post some months ago ... but I do like supporting this effort.)

No comments:

Post a Comment