Monday, February 16, 2015

Things I became used to, and some things I did not ... observations

In talking to people about living in Abu Dhabi, I started a mental list based on questions I received from US colleagues and from friends and family.  As a sort of closing of this blog, I thought I'd share, as it gives a glimpse into some things that are different in the UAE than in the States (or at least seem(ed) different to me). Please know these are observations, not judgments. I think it's interesting to hear about similarities and differences in how people go about things. I am sure I am forgetting things; I hope you do find it interesting.

Things I became used to ...
  • Not driving in the far left lane, unless you are going really fast. Really fast.
  • If in the far left lane, getting out of that lane when a car comes up on you really fast. That car will usually give you the "courtesy" flash of headlights to get out of the way, fast.
  • Hearing Arabic.
  • Hearing many different languages.
  • Within the circle of people I know or have met, being a minority as an American.
  • Women in Abayas & Shelas & Niqabs, Men in Kanduras (or more commonly referred to as Dishdashes).
  • People (Southeast Asian males mostly) walking up to communion in their stocking feet. (It's considered good manners to take your shoes off indoors.)
  • Hoses with nozzles in every bathroom stall (for washing of feet in preparation for Islamic prayer).
  • Skype being my new telephone for talking to folks in the U.S.
  • Very cool: at some malls in the underground parking are little lights. If the parking space is empty, the light is green; if the parking space is occupied, it's red. And a count of available parking spaces when you drive into the underground garage. Uber-helpful!
  • The smell of Arabian incense in malls.
  • The hospitality offered in both homes and offices (coffee and tea; sometimes cookies or dates; and a genuine and ardent desire to make sure you are comfortable).
  • The lighting on high rises (some have fun neon outlines, others have moving lights up and down their exterior) and the green up-lights on mosque minarets. 
  • Hearing the call to prayer.
  • You never pump your own gas. (Or, "petrol" here.)
  • Universal truths about college students. For example, how college students load up on french fries for lunch; how they will find loopholes in syllabi and academic policies; how they calculate just how many classes they can miss and still pass; their energy and inquisitiveness.
  • Being both an defensive and offensive driver.  Defensive is just not enough here.
  • Calling cell phones "mobiles." (Makes more sense, really.)
  • The passion and patriotism of the UAE nationals for their country. (You should see the decor out for National Day in December.)
  • Not stopping for stop signs. You'll just get honked at it if stop and there are no other cars coming through or near the intersection. I will need to get used to full stops again when I move back to the States! What I have described are not 'California rolling stops.
  • You can leave your purse (or any valuable object) lying somewhere -- even the middle of a mall -- and no one is going to mess with it. When I'm outside the UAE, I have to remember to keep things with me, and keep my purse closed.

Things I pretty much got used to ...
  • 3-4 lane roundabouts and the car in the far left lane turning right ... right in front of you. (Skilled, or lucky, drivers will squeeze through some of the smallest traffic openings.)
  • People gliding into another lane in the road, and the majority of people will simply slow down or somehow make way for that person.
  • Leaving your car running while the station attendant fuels your car.
  • Sidebar conversations in meetings.
  • Taking mobile phone calls in meetings.
  • Walls around everything. Villas, estates, businesses ... it's an exception if there is not a wall.
  • The size of some of the villas and palaces. (They aren't all humongous, but some really are ginormous.)
  • Washing of feet in the public bathroom sink (pre-prayer).
  • Hot outside and freezing inside.
  • Making sure I take a bottle of water with me everywhere I go (as it is hot and humid) -- sometimes I don't and I usually regret it.
  • The challenge it can be to find some places (especially small businesses; physically bigger places are easier, of course).
  • The scarcity of parking in some locations. Some places, you take a taxi because you know you won't find parking.
  • The scarcity of petrol stations in some areas, which I find ironic in an oil-rich country that loves its cars at least as much as the U.S. does.
  • How people leave their cars running while being fueled, because it is so blinking hot outside.
  • The lines at petrol stations on weekday mornings, and every evening. (Friday and Saturday mornings are a great time to stop for fuel.)
  • In a country where conservative dress is the norm, the fact that several malls have Victoria Secret and other lingerie stores, with displays visible as you walk by the store front.
  • What a stunning color of Turquoise the water is -- it pretty much takes my breath away every time
  • Camels -- I don't want to get used to them, because they make me smile :-).  It's simply was not a complete trip (for me) to one our campuses without seeing a camel.
  • Having moments where I mentally stop and think "wow, I am in Abu Dhabi" or "wow, I am in Dubai".
  • Having more moments than not, that -- for that time being -- living in Abu Dhabi felt normal. At least for while I am here.
Things I never did get used to ... (Expats and Emiratis alike display these behaviors) ...
  • Moving vehicles with kids not strapped in.  
  • Or kids sitting on the console (between the two front seats) as a car is moving down a street or highway.  
  • Or kids standing on the console with their heads out the sunroof, while parent is driving in a neighborhood.
  • Cars passing by you so closely and so fast that you can feel them (literally, you can feel some sort of vacuum -- for lack of another word) ... had one the other night that had me reminding myself to breathe. How he didn't hit me was only God's doing.
  • How close a driver will ride another car's bumper. Honestly, can make you gasp. It's like drafting in a stockcar race.
  • Taxi drivers who that make you feel like you are on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, or who think they are Mario Andretti.
  • The huge number of people who text and drive and any speed.
What I most missed about home (besides Tim, our dogs, our home!) ...
  • Easily calling and seeing my friends and family in the U.S. 
  • Being outside more months of the year.
  • Texting (for instant communication) with friends and family at home!
  • Really blue skies. (With ample sand, and being by the salty water, makes it hazy. It's quite beige most of the time.)
  • Toilet seat covers.
  • Street addresses and streets signs at every road and intersection; building numbers.  (But there is a new plan in Abu Dhabi to add building and house numbers, and make sure that every street is labeled.)
  • Outdoor malls to walk around.
What do I miss about Abu Dhabi, now that I'm back in the States?
  • My brother Tom, sister-in-law Danielle, and nephew Eric.  And Grover, their sweet and deep-thought (hahahaha) dog.
  • Friends that are now 8500 miles away ... Emily, Hannah, Amanda, Kim, Iain, Iliana, Manal, Ahmed ... Bible Study partners Christine, Louise, Anna and Justina ... forgive me if I have inadvertently left someone off this list!
  • Brilliant turquoize of the Gulf water

No comments:

Post a Comment