Thursday, December 13, 2012

Home for the holidays

Have this tune in my head right now.  I think it's akin to some little kid tune.  The words to that tune in my head are "I'm coming ho-ome for Christmas." ("home" having two syllabus in this little ditty.)

Technically, I should have to be on the job a bit longer to take vacation days. But when I negotiated my contract, I said that I needed to be able to take off the last two weeks in December.  They said yes. Really would have been a dealbreaker for me.

I love Christmas, and wanted to be home for that if possible. But most importantly, next week is Tim and my 25th wedding anniversary, and we absolutely were determined that we spend it together.

Tim and I had talked about doing something significant for such a big-number-year. Rent a cabin in the mountains for a few days and invite friends along was one idea. A trip somewhere was another idea.  We have sort of made staying at the Mission Inn in Riverside for our anniversary a tradition these past few years, and thought about renting several rooms and inviting friends and family to experience the place with us. (If you haven't checked the Mission Inn out, at least check out their website to get an idea of just how many lights and decor they put up for Christmas. We recommend visiting during the week, as the weekend brings far more people out to see the place, whether it's a quick walk through or staying the night.)

As you can imagine, the big thing for this anniversary ended up being me coming home from Abu Dhabi.  Will be wonderful to see Tim again, and super to see the pups. The pups already get excited when someone comes home even after just a short trip out of the house (Taicho with his full body wiggle, and Suki wagging her tail like crazy with a stuffed animal hanging out of her mouth.) So we're guessing it should quite the reaction when they see me on Friday night.

I just ran to the closest Souk to grab a couple of additional gifts. Outside the main entrance where cars pull up for valet, they have placed a large Christmas tree, covered with lights and ornaments, and oversized packages at the bottom of the tree.  Smart of them -- Christmas is not a tradition to the country, but it is to the many of the Expats living here. Made me smile, and eager to be at home. Tim got a real tree and it's up, along with the garland on the outside of the house. Yay!

Now, please wish me well as I travel many many hours in coach tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home Kate! Enjoy your time here.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete