Sunday, December 9, 2012

Witnessing national pride in two different countries

The reason I was in D.C. was for a NASPA Board meeting.

(If you're not familiar, that's a national professional organization for folks who work in Student Services / Student Affairs in higher education).  I'm on the board, chairing the Community College Division.

It was great to see my NASPA colleagues. They are smart, energetic, fun, and so committed to making things better for fellow professionals and for students. 

At one point during one of our meeting days, some of us had an hour break. Three of us decided fresh air sounded good. The NASPA office is very close to Union Station, and close to the Capitol.  So we bundled up and took a walk, and ended up going all the way 'round the Capitol building. 

I have been to D.C. before, and walked around this same area. And I love it every time. 

As we walked around the parameter of the building, a large area was fenced off.  Coming around the side that faces the Washington Monument, I could see the reason it was fenced off was that they were setting up the stands and risers for the Inauguration.  It was simply so cool to see that. To picture the President taking the oath of office, and knowing that the Mall will be completely filled with people, well I found it exciting.

And now spending some time living outside of the United States, just like when I was able to vote here in Abu Dhabi in October, it just feels different, almost more special. To come back to the States, to walk in our nation's Capitol, to vote when you're across the Atlantic and then some, to stay connected becomes a need, it just feels necessary. (And for some reason using the words "need" and "necessary" in that sentence does not feel redundant.)

Another factor might be the experience of witnessing another country celebrate their founding, and to do so with such pride and exuberance.

While I was in D.C., the UAE was celebrating its 41st National Day.  Seems ironic to me that my temporary residence is celebrating its founding at the same time I'm in a U.S. location that demonstrates our founding as a nation. 

The UAE completely embraces its forming as a nation. I've never seen bigger flags (of the country) draping houses and office buildings, more rope lights hung from buildings, more decor on cars and on bridges and inside buildings.  Red, white, black and green everywhere; pins and other depictions of the seven sheiks who came together; photos of the current president. It's something to behold. Schools -- I am sure every school -- does something special. To spread it out, celebrations happen throughout the week leading to National Day, and through the actual National Day. It is quite profound to witness such a collective passion and celebration.  I would say it is very much like our 4th of July. And to think that it's an even younger country than the U.S., it's heartwarming to understand how seven emirates came together such a short time ago and have done so much already to modernize and build infrastructure for the long term.

While I appreciate the UAE's celebration, it also makes me all the more enamored and proud of my own country, and hope that in spite of the time difference I'll be able to watch the inauguration. Am sure the CNN and MSNBC channels here will be showing it.

1 comment:

  1. Kate I can so relate to what you said. Rob and I were in Eastern Europe in 1986 ( before the "wall" came down) We were in Moscow just before May 1st, and saw all of the flags, etc. preparing for the celebration that they were going to have.

    When we finally came home (were we only gone 17 days?) and the wheels of the plane touched down at LAX, our group shouted a cheer! Then to come into customs and see the LARGE USA flag hanging there, I thought my heart would burst!!!!

    ReplyDelete