Saturday, May 25, 2013

McDonalds around the world

I have not felt tempted or compelled to eat at a McDonald's here.  There are plenty of them, along with many other fast food chains familiar to us in the U.S.  Nothing against McDonald's in particular, just not all that into fast food at this point. 

I recall eating at McDonald's while in Germany, and got a kick out of the fact that they serve beer, right along with sodas.

I recently saw a print ad for a sandwich at McDonald's, called "The Mexican".

Now, I don't think I've ever gone on to the McDonald's website before.  But after seeing the name of the sandwich, and thinking "You would NOT see a sandwich labeled "The Mexican" in the States!", I had to go look at the mcdonalds.com website.  And no, no "The Mexican".  There is a similar "Spicy Chicken", but not the same ingredients.

I've got to give McDonald's credit for adapting to cultures outside the U.S.  For Muslims, having your food prepared Halal is very important.  I'll let you look "halal" up ... it's a particular way of preparing food.  And McDonald's is smart, preparing Halal food in a country that is officially Muslim.  Here's a bit from their UAE McDonald's FAQ site:


All products served at all McDonald’s restaurants in the Middle East are Halal, inspected and approved by local authorities and Halal officers at the countries of export and customs officials at the port of entry. Click here to view the Halal Certificates.
Our Beef is sourced from Australia and our chicken is sourced from Malaysia.

Just had to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment