Monday, May 20, 2013

This helps make you aware of the things you take for granted

In between some tourist stops with photos, I need to share something poignant and humbling.

As time permits, I'll look at news online.  Often CNN, but also local UAE news through Gulf News and The National.

Two stories last month really made me pause, as other realities within the world grabbed my attention.  And if I am writing about it, they obviously still have my attention.  And as you pause, you wonder "what more in the world can I be doing?" ... that question I haven't answered yet, but am mulling it over quite a bit.

One story I read on the 21st of April online at gulfnews.com. There were some deaths at a trash site in Manila.
At a landfill in the Philippines

As I read the story, I realized what it was saying.  That people go and pick through the trash. Whether seeking treasures for themselves or to sell, or for food, I am not certain. But whatever they are traipsing through trash for, it must be very important, and a means of eking out a living or a life.  From the look of things, picking out things of value would not be an easy task ... mountains of trash, all mushed together.  And -- the article shares that shanties are allowed in the trash area. Again, to pick through for unseen treasures, let alone to live in this environment, is something that was previously beyond my imagination.


The other story that grabbed my attention and hasn't quite let go, is about a school that is being conducted in an underpass of a road in New Delhi, India.
The photo from that article:
Rajesh Sharma teaches Savita Kumari, 12, words by rote at the makeshift school he founded under a metro bridge in Shakarpur, New Delhi.

What struck me here is both the passion for teaching and the thirst for learning.  To want to learn that much, that you will take any venue available, any physical resources you can get your hands on in order to participate in something that many of us take for granted (eg things we think are simple basics such as buildings and chalkboards).  This photos illustrates the heart that goes into this effort, by students, the teachers, the families. 

Like I said, humbling. Both stories.
Like I said, makes you ponder and consider what more you can do.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kate... Humbling, yes!

    I remember the first time I learned of a group living around a dump just south of our borders. Ryan or Tin's youth group went and helped some of them. Heart breaking.

    The thing that struck me about the second story was the way a person with a desire found a way to make a difference with very little. The picture shows a very neat area, set up for a classroom, and their clothes are clean. There is desire to make a difference and a desire to learn even in hard areas. Wow, as you said humbling.

    ReplyDelete