Monday, July 22, 2013

Seaplane ride over Dubai ... part 5 ... the Palm Islands

Okay ... last post about the seaplane tour!

I'm sure most people have seen tv specials about Dubai's Palm Islands, or at least photos. I was quite excited to see these from the air ... so, I have many photos and some video from passing over these. In fact, I'll write less and show more on this post. What I didn't know was that one of the Palm Islands is completely vacant. And the other Palm Island is still not 100% developed and occupied. Guess they are filling up one, then the other.



Flying over the developed Palm Island, our plane was higher. I noticed that the pilot could fly lower over the unoccupied island (which makes sense, doesn't it?).


And then there is this one little island, adjacent. Tim and my guess is that this is one person's estate (versus a resort). Tough life, huh?!

The flight was about 40 minutes.
After taking off from the Dubai Creek area, we landed at the Jebel Ali Beach Resort.

I don't know why the seaplane company chooses to make this a one-way trip. You take off at Dubai Creek (north end of the city) and land at a beach resort (south end of the city). Which means you have to have alternate transportation to get back to your car.  We opted for a taxi (about a 30 minute ride back to the car).  I had looked up the water taxi option online, but we decided to be a bit more frugal (about 120 dirhams, rather than 400 dirhams per person via water taxi).

Still, worth the time and investment, to see Dubai from the air! 

No comments:

Post a Comment