Sunday, November 24, 2013

Rafting in Nepal

Part of our adventure in Nepal included two and a half hours of white water rafting on the Trisuli River (or Trishuli, depending on what map and website you are looking at).  Neither, Tim, Hannah or myself had ever been rafting before. Had no idea what to really expect.

And oh it was fun!

On our way from Kathmandu to Chitwan National Park, we made a stop at the Royal Beach Camp (http://www.royalbeachnepal.com/).  I recommend them highly.

Our first views of the river, from the Royal Beach Camp ("RBC"):



After some lunch and a warm welcome by the lead guide, we were suited up with life vests and safety helmuts.

Oh, the fashion statements ;-)






I did feel well protected though!

Our fun and excellent lead guide:



We received instructions, complete with demonstrations, on safety. How to sit on the raft, directions when rafting (all forward, left forward, right forward, paddle, stop, etc.).  And what to do if you fall in the water. There were two safety kayakers accompanying the raft; this was one of a few maneuvers we were instructed on, should one of us end up in the water.


Our safety guys, who were so good at kayaking, and you could tell they were having a blast on the rapids. You could also tell that they were keeping an eye on the raft in case they were needed. At times there were small rapids closer to shore, and while the raft was in a calm spot, they would test their own skills. I was impressed!



I'm not sure if I was ever truly situating my feet right, in anchoring them under the rubber seats, but I know that I met one of my two goals: stay in the raft, don't fall out of the raft and into the water.  My other more goal was to have fun, and that goal was completely met as well.

When you think rubber raft, you think it should have some cushion to it ... nope! This thing was sturdy.  You sit on the side of the raft, not on the rows in the middle.

There were seven of us in the raft.  The three of us (me, Tim, Hannah), three staff and our lead guide (who took the photo -- we had my camera in a bag, and this photo was taken in between a couple of rapids).

Two of the RBC staff who were in the raft with us.



After our first rapid, we then knew what to expect. What going on (through?) a rapid felt like, keeping your balance, staying in the raft and still managing to paddle, the feel of the cold water coming up and over you and the raft. After the first rapid, we eagerly anticipated the next rapids, all with interesting names such as Butterfly, Electricity, and Surprise.

Hannah and Tim after going through one of the rapids and a wave washing over their left side of the raft:



The little store at the end our rafting adventure, where we were able to change into dry clothes and get a snack.  For Hannah and I, changing meant going to the lower level. Picture dirt stairs and dirt floor. And an adjacent small toilet room with the ever common squatty potty. A group of 4 men temporarily moved into another room so that Hannah and I could change. They then reclaimed their room and recommenced their card game.  (I actually don't know where Tim went to change.)

Now I need to find places at home to raft!

2 comments:

  1. I know that when the river is running good here in Kern Co., the Kern River has a company that does rafting. I have heard that Idaho and Colorado are good places for rafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should do a family trip!! 😍 Loving your adventures.

    ReplyDelete