Monday, April 15, 2013

Going Global, part 1

For half of the year (October through March), there is an event here in the UAE called Global Village.

A permanent physical space, there are buildings and pavilions of countries. While not quite  to the Disney standard, its concept is similar to Epcot in that you shop and eat your way around the world, with facades on buildings that reflect a country's colors or style.

The majority of countries represented are Middle Eastern and Asian, with Austria thrown in the mix.

I'm going to share this visit to Global Village in a few separate blogs, because I took many photos ... 

The one I'll share first is Tunisia.  




Now, as you walk into each building/pavilion area, as I mentioned, it's all about shopping and eating! 

I was drawn to a particular stand, where this older gentleman was working on brass plates.   He spoke Arabic and French, and a couple of words of English.  I remember only a handful of words (can literally count them on one hand) of French. But we made do!  He takes a large nail and a small hammer, and creates the designs on the plates. And then for a nominal cost, you can have your name hand engraved on it.  I went for one with "Mueller" in Arabic.


He sets a plate on a piece of wood with four prongs to hold the plate in place.  He writes the word with a dry erase marker, etches, and then wipes off the marker color.


And of course I couldn't resist a little video of this gentleman at work:

Ceramic tiles for sale in this area:

And lovely presentations of colorful tea sets:

No comments:

Post a Comment