Saturday, April 20, 2013

Going Global ... part 2

I've shared some photos and a video from the Tunisia pavilion at Global Village ... now a bit more from that trip.

The Global Village opens up at 4 p.m., and goes into the evening. In addition to the shopping and eating your way around the world aspect, there is an area with many rides.  Think County or State Fair.  I imagine a different atmosphere when the rides are going, with the neon lights and people squealing with a mix of delight and fear and adrenaline.  Due to an accident earlier in January, the rides were stopped and didn't go back online again. When walking near the empty, quiet ride area, "peaceful" isn't quite the right word. Maybe "lonesome" might be. Not quite sure ... open to suggestions on that.


I did like the imagery of this photo below ... the rides are still, and the sun is setting, and it's the last day of the Global Village for 2012-2013.  (Well, at the time I was there it was the published last day; I found out that they extended it by one week ... just want to keep the facts straight!)


All of the pavilions have some decor to their facade, to represent at particular country.  Jordan's was easily the most detailed, with 3D characterizations:


Of course, thought of Tim when I saw this. Sculpting out of styrofoam, hardcoating and painting it -- he's done the same for may an event and set design over the years. 

Then there are more simple ones, comparatively. This, from a distance, I thought was Greece due to the colors and the design. Up closer, you see it is Afghanistan.  (Every pavilion also flies that country's flag. By walking around you get a few lessons ... things that are native to a country, items and foods that are from that country, craftsmanship -- like the Tunisian plate engraver, flags from around the world ...)


Greece was indeed represented, though.  While more simple than the ones above, gives you elements common to Greece (such as the style of lettering and the sculptures).

What I don't know (and I cannot find online anywhere) is how it was decided which countries would be represented. If countries are invited and they put up the facades. Or if someone picked countries and then the UAE had someone design the facades. No idea.  

There is also entertainment from around the world on different stages.  While I did not see a pavilion for Australia (could be I missed it?), there was a group of men from there doing dances. They explained the story behind each one (for example, one was about kangaroos, and the dance interpretation of kangaroo was really good), and then did the dance with what I would guess is Aboriginal singing.  I enjoyed seeing something new to me; I also enjoyed seeing a group of people so into doing dances from their country with such energy and full-on commitment. 


I have a video for a next post, of Emirati male musicians playing what I assume is traditional music.

No comments:

Post a Comment