Monday, October 15, 2012

Literally half way around the world

Have you looked at a globe recently?

Before I left, Tim and I talked about me going "half way around the world". I had meant to find a globe before I left Califorania to see if this was true.  My nephew Eric has a globe in his play room (cool room, with big soft bean bags, all kinds of computer and board games).  I noticed the globe this morning before leaving for work, and took a look.  Yup. Half-way across the world is actually accurate.

The UAE (and possibly other areas of the Gulf Region) is such a mixed environment. You have the Bedouin history of the region, and camel racing is still a big event.  Then you have some malls that are on steroids (the Gucci end of things).  Last night I went with Tom and Danielle to Ikea (fairly new to Abu Dhabi) for a few more house things. I was happy to get lightbulbs, a small rug, and a few other doo-dads for my bedroom.  Picked up some frames, because Tim is going to print out some of his photographs and mail them off to me.  I have empty walls, and it will be great to have some of his work to look at every day.

A couple of days before that, we went to the Pottery Barn that just opened in Abu Dhabi (I think there is one in Dubai). Excited to get some lamps; sometimes the big bright bulb in the middle of the ceiling is handy, sometimes too bright.  (Sconces in the house are on Danielle's list of things to get eventually ... lots to do when you have to buy everything, and you have moved a whole bunch of your U.S. belongings overseas.)

Because the Al Rowdah Academy has sites all over the UAE, I will have the opportunity to see much more of the country than I might have if I was working at a one-campus university or college. 

Sheiks have enormous properties here.  Whether within or outside of the city, their fences goes for blocks in the city, sometimes miles outside the city.  From what I understand, there can be several homes on the property, as families stay together.  Relationships, and especially families, are highly (and I mean highly) valued here.

Partly because Al Rowdah is currently partnering with Kaplan International out of the UK, and partially because there is some left-over British influence here, I am picking up some English words I never knew before.

Bespoke (custom made; made to order)

Absconded (decamp; bolt)

Invigilate (to keep watch ... think placement tests)

Seconded ... now with this one, for those of us familiar with parlimentary procedure, a specific pronounciation and usage will come to mind.  Here, someone can be seconded ... pronounced seh-CON-ded ... meaning they have been moved from one academy / institute / college to another.

Now I need to start learning more Arabic words, and how to spell them (in English). Getting close to knowing a couple of common phrases.

That's probably enough random thoughts for one post!

No comments:

Post a Comment