Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Round and round you go

As I mentioned previously, navigating your way around the UAE is an interesting experience. I think I gasped much more frequently as a passenger in Rome, Italy as far as the actual driving goes.  But I want to share an example of directions from where I am living to where I am working:
Mangrove Village - Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
1. Head north
 
200 m
2. Turn right toward 3rd St
500 m
3. Turn left onto 3rd St
Go through 1 roundabout
600 m
4. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto 2nd St
180 m
5. Take the ramp onto 30th St/​Al Khaleej Al Arabi St
1.7 km
6. Continue onto Airport Rd/​E 20
5.5 km
7. Take the exit toward 16th St
220 m
8. Keep right at the fork and merge onto 16th St
Continue to follow شارع - ١٦
Go through 3 roundabouts
6.5 km
9. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto 33
1.1 km
10. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto 34th St
1.3 km
11. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
96 m
12. Turn left
1.4 km
13. Turn right
33 m
14. Take the 1st right
Go through 1 roundabout
800 m
15. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit
400 m
16. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
Go through 1 roundabout
Destination will be on the right
1.3 km
 

Might have to record a video driving through one of these roundabouts to truly and literally give a picture of these three-lane loop arounds.  And signs that show which of the four exits on the roundabout you take to get to where. I have to admit they are intimidating me a little less (keep in mind, I am still only travelling as a passenger!), and the trip back and forth (exit signage, exits and entrances) is beginning to feel more familiar. I am carpooling most days with my sister-in-law Danielle, and we've agreed that in no longer than a month I will try the driving ... good practice, and I need to use my reserved parking space once in awhile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment