Monday, October 8, 2012

On the personal side of things

As I start to write this, it's 8:15 p.m. here in Abu Dhabi (Monday, October 8th -- 9:15 a.m. California time).  And as I look at my laptop clock (again, so I don't have to do the clock math in my head), many of you are starting your day or are grabbing lunch.

I have shared facts so far, giving an idea of how I landed about 8400 miles from home. (I have a "unit converter" on my tablet so that something else does the math for distance, weight, temperature.)  I feel it's only fair to also share the emotional adventure that happens when you do this.  I share this from an email I sent to friend Stephanie (OCC) shortly after I arrived:

Thanks for the email; it helps me through the homesickness that is hitting me in huge waves. Absolutely having moments -- albeit brief, but very intense -- of "what the hell was I thinking?" It's just homesickness. And then I remember that this is a tremendous opportunity to help and to learn and to experience. The team at work that I am quickly getting to know is terrific. Mostly expats, a lot of UK folks. My assistant director has done the director position on an acting basis (is happy I am here), and is being tremendously helpful with both work and cultural orientation for me. Now trying to focus on understanding what I am to do (got some good hints from my boss today), and how to do it. In many ways the 15 months will fly by. Right now, that just feels like a really really long time!

I knew it would be an adjustment, moving far away, to a place that is different than what I know. I was aware of some of the 'challenges' for someone coming from the States.  You load Skype ahead of time; and sometimes the internet connection is not great. Some websites are blocked, but many expats can direct you on ways to still connect with familiar sites (e.g. Netflix). You read about driving on the roads. The heat of summer I will experience half a year from now. God definitely helped prepare me for the current temperature (high 90's) after blasting California with two or so months of nasty heat.

The good news to share with friends reading this is that the homesickness is not constant. I miss Tim more than words can express, and it will be amazing to see the pups again when I am back in December. I cried (briefly) yesterday, again from homesickness and feeling plenty dumb realizing how much I have to learn about Abu Dhabi and the UAE and my job, and getting around, but today I didn't. I won't for a minute stop missing home, but nice when it isn't an almost crippling feeling.  Plus, I couldn't go home right now if I wanted to. While my residency visa is in process, someone else has my passport. Maybe that is God helping me stay put and give this later life study abroad, well, a good chance.

Even my boss (Emirate) who has lived in the States (and probably other areas of the world) for significant lengths of time has let me know that the adjustment is tough; I appreciate the reminders by folks that this is normal normal normal.

Craziest is navigating your way around here. We (most anywhere else in the world) are used to street names and addresses.  Not here. You give directions by site, and with great vagueness. You miss an exit, and you might add miles and many minutes to your drive because there are not frequent on and off ramps to the highways.  So many people drive amazingly fast, and at times you swear you'll be sideswiped. It seems that size of car and type of car (nicer is better) assists in having the right of way. I was going to copy and past the diretions that come up on google maps, for getting from where I live to where I work ... but the internet is sooooo slow tonight and I cannot bring that up; in another post then. Keep in mind, that satellite navigation not much good here, so nope, not really an option.

I'm going to close out for day. Feel free to ask me questions via the comment section of this blog, if there are particular things you are curious about. (No, I do not have to wear any head covering or a full abaya at work or when I am about, unless I am visiting a mosque; the Grand Mosque here is supposed to be well worth the visit; from outside it is spectacular architecture.)

All my best,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. I know you are having a tough time, Kate, but I know this adventure is in God's hand and his plan.

    I have to say I laughed when you said they travel by site. That's not only true in the UAE. It's also true in Nebraska. When we lived there and delivered phone books as a fundraiser, we went into little tiny towns and were told to "go down the road a spell, when you see the house with the whiskey barrel in the yard, make a left, then go past the two houses with the number 27 on them. Make the next right and go to the house with green shutters." After several hours of not finding people, we finally got smart and went to the bar. We delivered each book there, either to the owner or to someone who promised to deliver it for us.

    Be safe! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,

    Love love love reading from you. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad and the funny. You're in our thoughts and prayers daily. I find myself doing the time conversion and placing you where ever that may be in your day's activities.

    Love you!
    AJ, Nater Tater and Chad

    ReplyDelete