Friday, January 25, 2013

Always thought this type of stop light was a good idea

We've all sat an intersections, in the left turn lane, waiting for the green arrow.

And if we are wanting to do a u-turn, you hope fervently that the person behind you doesn't press the accelerator to hard and fast, before you can make it obvious that you are maneuvering your vehicle around the island and tight turn.  If there are a couple of left turn lanes next to each other, I've always thought it would be a good idea to somehow let people know that you are doing a u-turn, not a left turn.

As I wandered via car the other day ... well, I didn't mean to wander ... I was headed to Yas Island for a visit to Ace Hardware for a couple of things. (Right next to Ikea.)  I came in from a different road that I have before, and it took me several wrong turns and then finally a correct turn before I got to Ace.

One of those wrong turns took me to a spot where you can do a u-turn to get yourself in the other direction. It's for u-turns only.

Maybe there are lights like these in other places, but it was a new one for me, and I got a total kick out of it. All three are u-turn lights (red, yellow, green):




And if you want to see a few other signs (Tim will be posting some of these on TMGTextures) for kicks and giggles, here you go ...






This one lets you know there is a roundabout coming up. This one is in our villa compound.


Here's an example of a roundabout sign off a major road. The exit sign lets you know where the different roundabout exits/branches will take you. 

And in our complex, a sign asking people to not honk their horns.  MOST people abide by it MOST of the time :-)

2 comments:

  1. Diana -- thank you for the comments. I am so glad you are enjoying reading the posts. It is great fun sharing this adventure with friends and family; and it's a great feeling staying connected from this far away.

    ReplyDelete