Saturday, January 19, 2013

Haiti: and I thought the UAE internet connection was frustrating

Tim is in Haiti.

Our friend Jon has visited Haiti several times now. I'll have to ask him how many times he has gone there. On an annual basis, he has gone with a group that assists with some construction in the city of Hinche. (google map time!)

This year, someone from the usual team couldn't go, and Jon asked Tim if he wanted to come along.  The answer was yes.

They left on January 14th, and will fly back on the 20th.
Los Angeles to Miami to Port au Prince, and back the same route.

From Port au Prince, a 2.5 to 3 hour drive across the country to get to Hinche.

Welding helmet in hand, Tim is doing welding all day on a building.

So, I had a feeling that his being in the middle of the Haiti, or close to the middle (a theme for the Muellers right now, being in the middle of places), might prove to be an internet and Skype challenge. And I was not wrong.

So far we've had about 7 minutes of a decent enough connection to chat. The other days, immediate connect and disconnect, a couple of garbled sentences, a five second delay so we end up talking over each other, or the call not going through at all.

Jon has been able to Skype a little with Tina (also our friend, his wife), but also having connection issues. But Jon also has been able to text Tina a little. So, thanks Tina for being an intermediary in getting messages to Tim for me, through Jon!

Now I seem to need Skype time with Tim like a junkie needs a fix. My day is just not the same if I don't manage to connect at least once with Tim via Skype. We are both looking forward to catching up again after he gets back to California.

To further explain the title of this blog, the UAE internet is decent, but it is not what we have in the U.S.  I realize I have a good thing going with U.S. internet. Our UAE/US Skype calls have their frustrating moments, once in awhile cutting us off, or getting to only talk and not use the video.  After Tim's adventure to Haiti I can now live with the UAE internet much more easily!

And I look forward to hearing details from Tim about the Haiti trip ... with a few short minutes I've learned that there are about 35 people on this trip, many are medical personnel. That they are sleeping on cots, and that showers are quick.  The shower water is in a container on the roof, and you get whatever temperature it is. That makes the warmth of Haiti a good thing.

I imagine Tim will share some details on his blog on TMGTextures too!


1 comment:

  1. Some times we just don't know how good things are until we go some place else. :-)

    I'm glad Tim got to go. I think this is Jon's 5th year.

    I know Tina was very lost with everybody gone and us being sick.

    We are looking forward to Jon's report too.

    ReplyDelete