Monday, January 14, 2013

Every day things are a kick too

It's been a few days since my last post. I had a flurry of them last week.

This past weekend, I didn't end up checking off any of my to-do-in-Abu-Dhabi list. But it was a pleasant weekend nonetheless, and I guess I must have needed an I-just-live-here weekend because that is what worked for me.

But that also left me wondering what to write about. Part of me assumes (I know, dangerous to do) that people want to hear about unique things, not every day things.

And for some it is probably far more exciting to have me paint pictures with words and share actual photographs, as I go on Abu Dhabi "excursions". I place the quotes there because there are grander excursions such as dune-bashing (4x4's up and down and across dunes) and helicopter tours and going up in the highest building in the world (Burj Khalifa, Dubai; actually do not know how high a visitor can go up).

And then I realized that it is indeed unique that I experienced certain things this past weekend:
~ playing cribbage with Helen, online and half way across the world
~ openly attending a Christian church service in an Islamic country smack-dab in the middle of the Middle East
~ watching a Pastor make a card / magic trick part of his sermon (it's my second time at St. Andrew's Anglican Church, and the pastor is quite engaging)
~ swimming laps in the pool, with a view of the Persian Gulf (or at least an inlet from the Persian Gulf)
~ wandering around Marina Mall for no particular reason and getting completely turned around until I find a clear skylight that leads me to the base of the tower, so that I can catch back up with Tom, Danielle and Eric
~ picking food items out of the grocery deli counter, having to decide which stuffed olives to enjoy, selecting a cheese flavored with blueberries, and later enjoying those and other goodies with a glass of wine
~ and enjoying such snacks with my brother, and sister in law, and nephew (the food, not the wine, with my nephew!) in a villa in Abu Dhabi

Dune-bashing would be fun, but I hesitate only for love of my lower back health ;-)
A helicopter ride would provide magnificent views, but no sure I am yet ready (if I ever will be) about taking that kind of ride
And if you know me and heights, going up into the tallest building in the world is not happening.

But I do have my list of things to do and to check out and I will be checking items off ("ticking them off" if I use the local and UK way of saying it), taking photos, and sharing what I see and experience. Have a list going for this coming weekend :-)

Thanks for reading!  You have no idea how it helps me to feel and be connected to my friend and family, to write these and have them read.

1 comment:

  1. There are some unique thing to do!

    Years ago I did dune bashing in my dad's dune buggy but I don't know if my back would take it today.

    I don't think I would want to go to the top of the tallest building. I had problems with the Empire state building. :-)

    I have always wanted to take a tour in a heilocopter so I think I would enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete