Monday, November 26, 2012

A little taste of Thanksgiving in Abu Dhabi

I have been traveling abroad before when a purely American holiday occurs.  The time that comes to mind is when Tim and I were in Scandanavia, and it was the 4th of July.  I remember that our tour guide made the effort of having some red, white and blue during our day, which was very sweet. But it also feels a little weird, because no one is (or no one seems to be) celebrating it.

It's an odd thing, being in another country when an American holiday hits the calendar.

Thursday November 22nd 2012 was just another working day for me ... that was a first.  And it was okay.

What was lovely was a colleague invited me to her home for a Thanksgiving potluck.  Because Thursday was a working day, the potluck was Friday evening. (I think that some Expats in the UAE take the day off, but couldn't tell you how many because there's just a handful of Americans in the Al Rowdah Academy and I haven't met but a handful people outside of work.) (That's not a complaint; I just haven't felt the desire to go out and be social and "make friends".)

Anyway, my only hesitation about going was that I knew the other 8 people that this couple invited all knew each other from the church they attend (the evangelical church here in Abu Dhabi), and I figured I'd be odd one out not knowing anyone else.  But I had a lovely evening. Everyone was so friendly, welcoming, easy to be around. Conversation was interesting ... talking about camping at the dunes near Liwa; jet skiing near the Corniche; using the four-day UAE National Day holiday weekend to pop over to Nepal on a package deal ... I do need to start taking advantage of what is here as well as places that are fairly short flights away that I wouldn't probably visit any other way.

And it was fun to have some turkey, potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and some other goodies. What did I bring? Oh, some darling little individual fruit tarts from the small market here at the compound. (It's called Spinney's, and there is a large version in the main city area of Abu Dhabi.)

The couple hosting live in a 21 story apartment building (large apartment it seemed), and they were on the 20th floor.  I am carrying my camera around with me everywhere I go, and I took some photos of the view.

Am going to tease you with that ... it's getting late and I have a plane to catch in the morning. I will post some photos next blog.

The plane ride? I have a NASPA Board meeting in D.C., so fly out on Tuesday the 27th and fly back out on Sunday, getting back to Abu Dhabi on Monday.  And cool beans, staying with my sister Annie ... AND ... Tim is flying out so that we get some time together.  Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment