Sunday, November 18, 2012

Keynote at a symposium

After I said "yes" to the contract here in Abu Dhabi, and before I headed over here, my boss asked if I would be the keynote at a Student Services Symposium for the Institute of Applied Technology.  Was very honored, and also happy to share experience and knowledge from a different perspective. The event was November 4, 2012.

Right now, the concept of student services (aka student affairs on many campuses) is beginning to develop. (I'm not as familiar with the four-year institutions here yet, and they might be doing more ... but my organization is so new.) Which is another exciting piece to be part of -- watching this aspect of higher education develop.  Some academic counseling and student development counseling is pretty much the scope right now. But conversations are occurring about training and professional development and growing this area.  Again, exciting!

A lovely colleague organized the day for the Institute of Applied Technology.  My keynote focused on the fact that everyone working at a college or university or academy plays the role of an educator, regardless of title or position. That in and out of the classroom we contribute to student learning; and I compiled a top 12 things to keep in mind (from listening to mentoring to making education the primary focus).  Following me were 10 minute presentations on different areas of helping students, and the afternoon had case studies of student situations based on the previous presentations, with small groups having dynamic conversations about how to handle a variety of student issues, ranging from eating disorders to student misbehavior.

I have permission to share the Word document summary, but cannot attach it; need to post it somewhere and link to an URL. So instead, here are two photos from the document.

My boss, Dr. Abdullatif Al Shamsi (google his name and you'll get better photos of him); he also has a video or two on youtube, from events where he has been a guest speaker on education.

Moi:

The feedback I received from attendees was very positive ... it feels really good if people walk away with new ideas and are excited about learning more about student services as a profession.

(I know the photos are not crystal clear, but thought it would be fun to share nonetheless.)

No comments:

Post a Comment