Monday, November 12, 2012

A small stream of consciousness

There are still some days when I am homesick.

Homesick for Tim, and the pups.

Homesick for the little things, like running errands with Tim on a Saturday morning and later listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me together in the back yard.

Homesick for Suki (our female Akita) greeting me at the door with a stuffed animal in her mouth, and Taicho (her brother) wagging his entire body in excitement that you are home.

Homesick for non-important but fun things like the dvr and catching up on favorite tv shows with Tina.  Phone calls to Diane and my mom on the way home from work, catching up with ease.

Homesick for things that are so familiar that you don't give them a second thought when available and near to you.  That makes you conscious of the fact that there is comfort not only in convenience, but in routine.

The feeling is not overwhelming like it was the first couple of weeks here. That's good.

And I know with all my heart I will miss Tim and home and the pups every day throughout my entire residence here.

But since I am here, and have committed to this 15 month contract, then I make the best of it.  And it's nice that some things are beginning to feel familiar, and that brings its own level of comfort.

My first couple of weeks, I could NOT imagine ever driving while I'm here. Am pretty sure I made a statement along the lines of "if I never drive I'll be perfectly okay with that".  Between some crazy driving the and challenge of finding things ... But the past couple of weeks I found myself pleased as punch with myself when I made it to and back from a couple of places all on my own in the car.  (I borrow one of Tom and Danielle's cars now and then; so far haven't needed to rent one.)  As I've driven around with them, and others from work, I've paid close attention.  As my brother described before I got here, you go by sights and landmarks, and the few streets that have obvious street signs. 

Without getting lost or having to call someone for directions, I successfully made it to our Al Rowdah campus in the city of Abu Dhabi (Al Jazirah).   I followed my brother to one of the Christian churches (Tom did this detour for me, as he was heading in the same general direction for something else; it would have taken me a long time to find it on my own), and found my way back to the villa.  Got to the Le Meridian in the Tourist Club area (not far from the Corniche ... google map clues) and back.  Made it to Khalifa University and back, again without getting lost (had been there once and literally took notes for finding it again). Made sure I drove in daylight to the Marina Mall (also near the Corniche) so I would recognize some landmarks when I left that mall after sunset.  None of this may sound like no big deal, but nonetheless, felt like a big deal!

Finding a substitute massage therapist has been nice (hence, the visits to the spa at Le Meridian) ... no match to Alba Tucker at Dr. Whitney Tanner's office, but definitely a good substitute while I'm here.

Other things help too, like developing a few routines such as swimming laps on weekends in the pool here at Mangrove Village; twice daily skype calls with Tim and random other skype calls with friends and family; becoming familiar with some malls and stores when I need to pick something up.  Even started long-distance cribbage with Helen (thanks Helen!).

And as frustrating as the internet connection and skype connection can be at times, I remain thankful for the internet and email and online calls with a video feed.  To receive a hand written letter is beyond lovely, but love that that option is balanced out with nearly instant communication from half way 'round the world.

Yet even with all of these points, just 15 days until I get to see Tim :-) 
End of November and beginning of December I'm in D.C. for a few days for a NASPA board meeting, and Tim's flying to D.C. just to grab a little time together.  This two months should be our longest time apart during my 15 months in Abu Dhabi. And a bonus with the D.C. trip and seeing NASPA colleagues is the chance to see my sister Annie who lives there.

And then just 32 days from now I am in California for our 25th wedding anniversary and Christmas.  Home for a couple of weeks!  I feel bad that there is no explaining my extended absence to the pups, and they'll be confused when I leave again and fly back to Abu Dhabi, but nevertheless I look forward to Suki greeting me with great enthusiasm with a stuffed toy in her mouth and the full body wagging from Taicho!

Hopefully you don't think this stream of consciousness wasn't actually a river !
As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment