Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Abu Dhabi to the States / November 2012

It's Tuesday, November 27th and I'm on Etihad Airlines.

Making some notes while I am en route from Abu Dhabi to Chicago.  (In Chicago I will make a connection to Washington D.C.)

Was able to upgrade to Business Class.  So lovely to have room, be able to stretch out, get meals and extra service.  Little goodie bag awaits with a pillow, blanket for later when you want to have the seat lie flat, travel size amenities that include toothbrush, the smallest tube of toothpaste I’ve ever seen, lotion, and lip balm.  Oh, and socks and a face mask.
Etihad Airlines (based in Abu Dhabi) lets you bid on an upgrade if there are available seats.  When you go to the site to bid, it gives you a minimum and a maximum Dirham range.  I offered the lowest amount, and got an upgrade!  Cool beans.  I could see why when I got on the plane … lots of empty seats in business class.
There’s a map to show our route, and where we are now.  The under-the-plane camera isn’t working; the one on the nose of the plane is. Not much to see with the latter.

 
I’m at a window.  Sun-side, so it’s a little warm right now, but loving the view too much to close the windows.
Oh, a little bumpy at times, like just now when I’m typing, but each time it was passed quickly. For those of you who know me best, it’s “look at me, no Xanax!”  I’m too tired and too ready for a visit to the States and to see Tim, that turbulence that would have stressed me out earlier isn’t bothering me.
Back to the window … lots of desert for awhile … we are going north, a little northwest, up and over to the southern tip of Greenland and then back down again.  Right now I look at the map we are flying over what looks to be eastern side of Turkey.  Map doesn’t show the names of these mountains, but I dug for my camera quickly when I saw them:


Can see some huge peaks way off in the distance to the west.  We have flown over Saudi Arabia, passing near Kuwait. Could see some tiny little fires on the ground, which I presume are flames at oil sites.  Then we started to come into an area that had more farmland, and that was near Baghdad … have to say it was a slightly odd feeling to look out and see that, after the years in the news and the war.  Now it’s green mountains, sometimes rugged, with areas of snow. Little hamlets dotting the mountains, with windy roads, rivers, a lake here and there. 


About to cross over the Black Sea.  What’s that you say? A photo would be nice? Here you go:

It's huge and goes on and on.
Such a difference after two months of only seeing desert and sand, no mountains and lots of beige. Not a complaint, mind you, just a drastic difference!

Postscript: Caught my connection in Chicago, and customs was a breeze. Quick flight (just short of two hours) to Washington D.C.) ... certainly felt quick after 14 hours from Abu Dhabi to Chicago.

SO great to see Tim !

No comments:

Post a Comment