Saturday, November 17, 2012

Lunch with a view

It's Saturday, and we've had a three-day weekend. Thursday was the Islamic New Year.

Needed to baby my back a bit on Friday, so I hung around the house. Am doing another webinar on December 7th for Innovative Educators, this one is part 2 about student satisfaction surveys. So while I rotated ice and the stim machine for my back, finished up a draft powerpoint for that.  When I did part 1 in October, Val (Innovative Educators) and I were glad we were online early ... took us awhile to figure out how I could call in on the toll free number.  I hadn't made any long distance phone calls my work mobile, and for several minutes I was afraid Val or someone else would have to just go through my slides.

Back to the point of this blog (hence the title).  Today, after spending a couple of hours at my office simply to get a head start on the week, I treated myself to lunch at a Souk near the villa.  It's a modern building nestled next to a hotel, with a mix of traditional and modern stores. There are also several restaurants, all of which have outdoor seating for when it's cool enough outside.  And today was a pretty day.

Picked the Japanese restaurant, and sat outside in the shade. Had my tablet with me, so enjoyed the view, some good food, and a book. 


This was the view from my table (above).  I believe it's the Ritz Carlton in the foreground, which is being built and supposed to be one its biggest properties when it's done. You can see the Grand Mosque peaking up behind it on the left.  And a couple of little bitty boats docked next to the restaurants.  The waterway is popular with jet skis.


Another angle from the outside patio.


Zooming in a bit, you can see a couple of the bridges that lead you in to the city. Locally, you are on-island or off-island. Heading toward the west/northwest (I need a compass) leads you into the city area of Abu Dhabi, or on-island.  From this angle, you'd be driving to the left of where I am looking, to get in the city area of Abu Dhabi.  The taller of the two bridges is the newest, the Sheik Zayed bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment